TSD poses the transformational pillar of the JCBRN Defence CoE, which ensures with CBRN Subject Matter Expertise the fulfilment of the JCBRN Defence task portfolio.
- Support NATO CBRN Defence Concept and Doctrine Development;
- Support NATO Defence Planning Process (NDPP);
- Support NATO CBRN Capability Development;
- Support the Concept Development and Experimentation (CD&E) in the CBRN domain.
- Chairmanship and Secretary of the JCBRND Doctrine and Terminonology Panel (DTP);
- Custodianship of AJP-3.8, ATP-3.8.1 Vol.I, and JPAWS;
- Support of harmonization of CBRN Content within the AJPs
- Support the NATO Transformation process through Concept Development and Experimentation (CD&E) in the CBRN area;
- Support ACT in developing of the NATO Defence Planning Process (NDPP), “Determine Requirements”/ Capability Requirement Review;
- Support ACO and NATO Communications and Information Agency (NCIA) in the development of the CBRN Functional Service for Command and Control of operations.
The JCBRN Defence COE Operations Support Department (OSD) primarily role is to serve as an advisory body to SACEUR in the field of CBRN Defence. It is responsible for CBRN Reachback (RB) support to operations and operational planning support.
- develop a recognized CBRN expert advice capability in support of NATO operations drawing from a unique pool of operational and specialist expertise residing at the JCBRN Defence COE.
- act as a hub connecting the existing NATO Command Structure (NCS), theatres of operation, the Combined Joint CBRN Task Force, national capabilities, pool of CBRN related experts and other sources.
- support the other JCBRN Defence COE other departments in their transformation tasks.
- provide timely and comprehensive scientific / technical and operational CBRN expertise, assessments and advice to NATO commanders, their staff and deployed forces during the planning and execution of operations through the NATO CBRN Reachback Element (NATO CBRN RBE).
- coordinate all NATO CBRN RB activities in support of SACEUR in accordance with the NATO CBRN RBE CONOPS – MCM-0230-2014.
- support SACEUR with CBRN subject matter experts (SMEs) in the planning process at the strategic and operational levels.
- supplement CBRN related information and knowledge management to Allied Command Operations (ACO).
- provide M&S Support for Training, Exercises and Education, Capabilities Development and Experimentation, and Doctrinal Development.
The OSD is mainly based on the capabilities of:
- the CBRN Reachback Section (CBRN RBS) which is the section within the JCBRN Defence COE permanently assigned to reachback duties. The CBRN RBS provides the core of the NATO CBRN RBE.
- the CBRN Operational Planning Support Section (OPSS) which is an integral part of the OSD, as a primary supporting capability for the NATO Comprehensive Operations Planning (COP) and NATO Crisis Response System (NCRS). Additionally, the OPSS supports the CBRN RBS in all planning/operational activities.
- the CBRN Modelling and Simulation Section (M&S Section) which is an integral part of the OSD, as a primary supporting capability for the CBRN RBS. Additionally the M&S Section is a transverse organizational element that provides highly specialized support to the JCBRN Defence COE’s task portfolio.
Training, Education & Exercise Department (TEED) is the educational pillar of the JCBRN Defence COE playing the leading role in NATO CBRN Defence E&T and maintaining stakeholder-ship towards NATO-ACT (JFT) and the NATO JCBRND CDG in the area of Training and Education Panel (TEP) and CBRN Information Management Panel
- Lead NATO E&T as the WMD/CBRN Education and Training Department Head;
- Support NATO and multinational major joint exercises;
- Adhere to NATO Quality Assurance Accreditation Standards and Criteria;
- Assist to other centres of excellence / training centres in development and execution of CBRN Defence related subjects and topics;
- Support Allies and Partners with specialized training;
- Coordinate NATO and JCBRN Def COE CBRN LL process and maintain CBRN LL Portal.
- Plan, develop, coordinate and synchronize NATO CBRN E&T as a NATO CBRN Department Head under ACT/JFT lead ;
- Plan, organize, run and host highly specialized NATO accredited courses and training events for CBRN specialists as a Quality Assured organization;
- Provide the JCBRN Def COE Mobile Training Team (MTT) IAW specific request;
- Assume CBRN ODE role in NCS and NFS operational and strategic level exercises and ensure CBRN evaluation and analysis (LI/LL process) in support of ACO/ACT;
- Chair the NATO J CBRND CDG/Training and Exercises Panel and standardize multinational CBRN Defence training and exercises in support of CBRN Defence specialist capabilities evaluation/validation.